Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 1

This is the first day of my blog!  I am so excited!  I have always wanted to start a gardening blog and now, thanks to Tracy, my inspiration and mentor, I have begun this journey!

This is the final weekend of the Texas State Fair and it is perfect weather for this time of the year!  The temperatures have been in the 80's and the nightly lows are high 50's to low 60's.  We could have this weather all year long and I would be happy.  A friend of mine says that April and October are the perfect months for this North Texas area.  He is so right!

Yesterday, I created a few videos on my iPhone and hopefully, will be able to post them on this blog.  One shows the honey bee that was visiting and tasting the little purple/periwinkle blue fall asters. 

Now, on the south side of my house, I have some sort of a native Texas plant that I believe is milkweed.  My sister assures me that it is just a "tall weed"!  It's currently growing to about 7 feet tall!

However, I have had multiple visitors to this tall weed - in particular, many honey bees, wasps, green flies and this one particularly creepy beetle that I call the "Honey Bee Killer" or "Predator Beetle".  I will also post a photo of him, just in case someone has a clue of what he is!  I have seen him in the last two days devouring my honey bee visitors... (sad face here - honey bees are in such jeopardy, already, that I hate to think I might have to appreciate anything that kills them as easily as this beetle seems to do).

Well, it is getting a bit late, so I'll catch you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment