Thursday, October 21, 2010

My butterfly bush with the white blooms

When I bought my butterfly bushes about 5 years ago, they were just those little perennial plants that you could purchase for about $2.97 apiece.  There was no way to determine what color their blooms would eventually become.  They sat in their pots for several months before I could figure out where to plant them in my backyard. 

Here I am - 5 years later and my butterfly bushes all stand 6-8 feet tall!  However, the most desirable and magnificent one has large white blooms.  These seem to be a magnet for the swallowtail butterflies earlier in the summertime and especially, the monarchs when they migrate each September and October.  They choose this bush over the ones with the purple blooms.

I have not been able to find another "white" bush, since.  But, I plan to search diligently this winter for a nursery that offers them online.  I would like to provide my butterfly visitors with many more blooms to feast upon, come the summer and fall of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment