Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My post for November 1st - a day late!



Today (November 1st) was absolutely beautiful - sunny and warm and a nice breeze blowing!  I was admiring my begonias who are still blooming beautifully, as well as my mums.

However, Neil Sperry (Texas' expert gardener) says that one must dig up/throw out the begonias to make room for the pansies and my most favorite flowers - the little Johnny Jump-ups!!  Miniature pansies - little violas!  But, now is the time to buy them and plant them.  They need time to "weatherize" over the winter months and they will be so beautiful next Spring.  But, if you wait until January or February to buy them?  They will wilt and die at the first ice storm that we get.  They need to develop good roots and get used to the cold gradually -- from this point on!

So, go buy your pansies (and little violas) and plant, plant, plant them!  I've posted a photo of mine, but haven't decided which pot of begonias I'm going to give the boot to...  It's so difficult to throw away living plants! LOL!

Remember your daffodils, as well.  Now is the time to put those bulbs in the ground!  On sunny days like this, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment